Subject: Trouble building current toolchain.
To: None <>
From: Jochen Kunz <>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/2003 23:45:10

Today I tried to build the toolchain of 1.6N (cvs updated at Feb 8) but
it allways faild with:
cc  -O   -o makedoc  makedoc.o ../lib/libtxi.a  -lcurses
makedoc.o: In function `main':
makedoc.o(.text+0xe7): undefined reference to `_libintl_gettext'
makedoc.o(.text+0x136): undefined reference to `_libintl_gettext'
makedoc.o: In function `fatal_file_error':
makedoc.o(.text+0x7cc): undefined reference to `_libintl_gettext'
*** Error code 1

nbmake: stopped in /usr/build/objdir/tools/texinfo/build/info
*** Error code 1

I builded a complete release from the same source tree on my DEC3k300X
Alpha without a problem a week ago. So I was sure that this code was

I inspected the makedoc binary on the Alpha with nm(1) and found only
references to "libintl_gettext" without the preceding underscore. I had
a look at the header file /usr/build/objdir/tools/texinfo/build/intl/libi=
and found a mess of transformation macros that I didn't want to
investigate in detail. ;-)
I tweaked some #ifdefs in libintl.h and now makedoc was linkable as that
macro mess translated the function calls to "libintl_gettext" insted
"_libintl_gettext". Bad and ugly hack, but I needed a new toolchain to
do some kernel hacking.=20

Has someone seen this problem too?
Why does it work on Alpha but fails on VAX?
Some miss-detection in an autoconf script?=20