Subject: Linux-VAX-- What happened to it?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/13/2003 02:07:47
Hello again from Gregg C Levine
I know this sounds like a darned strange one coming from anyone, even
me... But here goes. Brian Chase's website, and the VAX Archive site,
all refer to the Linux-VAX project, and provide hyperlinks to it. The
developers, there,  managed to create a rootfs or root file system for
it, and an early effort at creating cross compilation tools. And have
created an impressive store of CVS stored objects that is files, and
such like.=20

However, that's as far as it looks they have gotten, on the surface.
Do any of you; have any idea what happened regarding their efforts to
continue the project? I am reluctant to post a subscription message to
their lists, because I am not sure how active it is.

Also they chose to base their root file system's kernel on the KA43
CPU, and associated peripherals. My problem is that Bob Soupnik chose
to base his VAX simulator on the 655 CPU. And again, associated
peripherals. Do any of you know if a kernel that was written for one
machine will work on the other?

Next up, what about using the MOP protocol to do the booting? Those
kernels were created with that in mind, it seems. Any suggestions for
setting up SIMH to do that? I've got the vaguest notion of doing so,
and I do not even know where to begin.=20

No need for all of you, to answer all of this in one message. Or any
single one member to do so. What I'd appreciate is the works being
spread out.

Oh, and this whole business will be done, on an Intel machine running
Linux, as I haven't had a chance to build a box for NetBSD/i386. And
Brian, I have setup my kernel accordingly.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."=A0 Obi-Wan Kenobi