Subject: Re: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
To: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/11/2003 22:32:15
Hi,

> I have a KA650 processor in a BA23 chassis (MVIII?), that I want to use
> as a console server, because with a couple DHV11's, it has LOTS of
> serial ports. I am running a 1.5 kernel and logging in with ssh is VERY
> slow. From the remote ssh login, to a request for a password is close to
> 10 minutes. During the entire time, the load on the uVAX is 100%. After
> that, the ssh shell response is not noticably slow. Any suggestions? Or
> is this what I must expect from her?

It sounds like you're using ssh2. On a VAX 4000/60, ssh2 takes around
30-35 seconds; I doubt, though, that this machine is 20 times faster.
It's about the same speed with ssh logins as a 40 MHz 68040. One
possibility (Ragge? Anyone?) is that the KA650 emulates certain
instructions that ssh uses heavily? This was the case with the 68060 - it
ran slower than a 68040 due to heavy use of emulated 64 bit multiply
instructions until Ignatios made some 060 optimised code. The speedup was
a factor of 4 to 6 times faster.

Hmmm... 12 VUPs / 2.8 VUPs * 4 = about 17...

Maybe you should try ssh -1 and see if it's closer to usable? Barring
that, all I might recommend is using ssh to get into the network from afar
(assuming you're on a private network), and using telnet within the local
network...

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs