Subject: Re: Diagnostic LEDs on VAXstation 4000 VLC?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/2003 20:04:52
On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Chuck McManis wrote:

> Well this is a good news bad news kind of story.
>
> The good news is that the VLC firmware is in EPROM and is not electrically
> reprogammable without removing the chips and putting them into a programmer.
>
> The bad news however is that all lights on 7-4 means a main board POST
> error. My suggestion would be to try pulling memory simms to see if you can
> get a minimal system alive. If that doesn't have any effect (it won't
> unless the first SIMM is bad) then the next candidate is that your power
> supply isn't supplying all of the correct values.

Ah.  Okay.  Just a little while ago I tried getting some different
behavior out of the system by pulling the SIMMs completely, and then
attempting to shuffle them a bit.  Unfortunately I didn't have any luck
with that.  As for the power supply going, that would make me sad.
At least I can test that pretty easily.  I'll try swapping in known
good supply and see what happens.

-brian.