Subject: Re: netbooted install kernel doesn't detect le0
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/2003 18:27:42
On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:

> I have two VS4000-60 boxes.  One runs fine, I noted my install travails in
> netbsd-docs.
>
> [...]
>
> I think this means there's something peculiar about my machine that the
> install kernel doesn't like.  Whatever it is, the bootblocks are OK with
> it.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for how to install NetBSD on this baby?

Not so much a suggestion for installation as it is a shot in the dark,
but you might try netbooting the GENERIC kernel instead of the INSTALL
kernel.  It won't get you into the sysinst installer, but maybe le0
will show up in it?

<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/vax/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz>

If it does, you should be able to setup a complete netbooting
environment on your NFS server.  From there you could manually label and
build filesystems on your disk, and then untar the sets onto it.

Another solution would be to pull out the drive from the misbehaving
VAXstation and connect it to the one that works (yay for SCSI).
Depending on your setup, this might be the simplest route.  Of course,
if le0 still doesn't show up, the system will be of limited usefulness.

-brian.