Subject: Re: uVAX 2000 and RD54
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/2003 12:05:26
On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:03:28 -0000, "Antonio Carlini" <arcarlini@iee.org>
wrote:
> as far as pricing goes,
> it's worth what someone will pay for it.
> Having said that, I wouldn't pay $150 for an RD54, nor would I
> sell the few that I have!

Hmm.  It's also worth what someone will sell it for.

What you're saying is, $150 wouldn't persuade you to give up an RD54, but
it's more than you'd spend to replace one if it died.  IOW, the price is
high enough to induce you to seek substitutes, but too low to increase the
the supply (by getting you to sell yours).  After all, RD54s are like
beachfront property: they're not making any more.

I conclude that $150 is a rational price, albeit too low to move
technologically adept folks like yourself to supply the market.

Thank goodness for SCSI.

--jkl