Subject: RE: TF86/TK86
To: , <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini@iee.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2003 23:53:54
> > I have a lead here on a TF86-BX that I'd like to take up
> > but while the seller says it is indeed a TF86 (DSSI), the drive has=20
> > labels on it that say TK86. My question is: are these in  fact the
same=20
> > thing? I can't recall hearing of a TQK8x controller, in support
> > of his claim.

When the T?8x series started out each drive had three
"personalities". So you had the TF85 (DSSI), TZ85 (SCSI)
and TK85 (typically attached to HSC - I cannot remember the
exact interface used).

The Tx85 and Tx86 could read TK50/TK70 media but
could not be used on the earlier controllers (so=20
there is no TQK85 controller).

I don't think the DSSI drives went beyond TF86.
The Tx87 was the last drive to have read compatibility
with the older TK50/TK70 media. The TK87N lost that
ability (basically a cost-reduced TK87) and the 88s
and higher continued the trend.

Antonio
=20
--=20