Subject: RE: from bad to worse.... (fwd)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/15/2003 09:56:02
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Antonio Carlini wrote:

> Of the last two people posting that they had this problem,
> one is the one you quoted, and he worked on a site paying
> for DEC support and was able to get his machine upgraded
> with the latest and greatest. The other person had his problem
> reportedly fixed "off-list" IIRC.

  I clobbered a 4000/90 as well.  I was trying very hard to not boot an
old kernel while trying to install NetBSD.  I goofed once and now have
this problem.

  I think a program could be written to fix this, but it will be rather
risky to test it.  As best I can tell, the flash memory has to be
completely erased and rewritten.  If it doesn't work the first time,
the machine could end up useless.

  I started writing a little program to emulate rewriting the flash memory
to check out the timing.  I've been too busy lately to work on this, but I
hope to get back to it someday.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant