Subject: Re: RX01/RX02 driver finished.
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/04/2003 22:57:07
On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:12:57PM +0100, ragge@ludd.luth.se wrote:

> It seems really good when looking at it. Good work!
Thanks, nice to hear. Especially as this was my first real attempt of
in-kernel hacking and I am still a bit unsure about how to do things
proper. (fake disklabel handling e.g.)

> The only comment I have is maybe stylistic, you may want to look at
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/share/misc/style
> to see how the recommended source code should look like.
Ahh, I expected somthing like this.

> Also, a bunch of things have happened since 1.6 was released,
I was afraid about that. Unfortunately I was not able to track -current
during the last weeks as I only had an expensive 28 kBit/s modem dial up
connection. So I had no choice as I wanted to get "rid" of this stuff
during the Christmas break to free resources for other hacking efforts.
But I plan to bing my DEC 3000/300X to -current in two or three weeks
when I have a better net connection again. I can port this diver to
-current (including conformance to /usr/share/misc/style) then, if it
would help to get it into NetBSD.

BTW: Speaking of getting it commited. Is the copyright OK? Or would it
be better to "contribute" it to the NetBSD Foundation, i.e. giving the
copyright to the NetBSD Foundation? All I need to satisfy my ego ( ;-) )
is a comment like "Initial writing by Jochen Kunz in 2003." or
"Contributed by Jochen Kunz in 2003." or the like in the code.

> for example the [bc]devsw are gone and created on the fly instead.
BTW: I fond it funny to see [bc]devsw in the "Loins comments on UNIX V6"
from 1976, when the entire UNIX kernel had around 10k lines of code.

> I haven't been able to read your driver writing paper though, my german
> is not that good :-)
If I can find the time to finish it, I will advertise it on tech-kern.
I think there are some german kernel hackers that are able to review it.
Unfortunately I am somwhat distracted by port-ofppc. There is a bunch of
people wainting for me to finish the MD code for the Motorola Powerstack II
machines... (Hi Michael K. & Co. ;-) )
--

tschüß,
          Jochen