Subject: VAXstation 4000 VLC disk boot problems
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@gson.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/18/2002 20:12:35
I just got my first VAX, a VAXstation 4000 VLC.  I have successfully
cross-built NetBSD-current on an i386, booted the VLC diskless using
MOP, and installed NetBSD on disk by running sysinst from the diskless
boot (the machine did not come with a disk but I installed a 2 gig
Seagate).

The problem is, I can't make it boot from the disk.  Here's what
happens:

  >>> show dev

    VMS/VMB      ADDR      DEVTYPE    NUMBYTES     RM/FX    WP    DEVNAM      REV
    -------      ----      -------    --------     -----    --    ------      ---
    ESA0         08-00-2B-23-6C-02
    DKA0         A/0/0     DISK         2.14GB      FX            ST32430     0320
   ..HostID..    A/6       INITR

  >>> show boot

  BOOT = DKA0
  >>> boot

  -DKA0
    83 BOOT SYS

  -DKA0
    83 BOOT SYS

  -DKA0
    83 BOOT SYS

  -DKA0
    83 BOOT SYS

  (repeat ad infinitum)

I have tried manually reinstalling the bootblocks using both
installboot and disklabel -B, to no avail.

Any clues?
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@gson.org