Subject: Re: VMS ABI emulation under NetBSD
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/15/2002 16:40:37
> I thought about it some years ago when DEC did a native port of Netscape
> to VAX/VMS. I didn't do anything about it, mostly because I did not have
> enough knowledge about VMS and I couldn't find anything about how the
> VMS system calls works. The "VAX/VMS Internals and Data Structures" do
> unfortunately not give enough information.

You don't really need more information if you have a debugger on VMS:
you can run the binary and break and dump registers and stack before and
after the system calls. That way you'll discover everything about system
call handling.

When you do this, it helps a lot to have the prototypes for the system
calls, but theses are ususally in system header files. If they are not,
you are left with the last option, which is dissassembling bits of a VMS
kernel (sounds disgusting!)

I would have more concerns with the executable format. What is it? It
would be hard to implement a foreign executable format without
documentation on it.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.  Cette signature vous est fournie telle quelle, sans
aucune garantie de fonctionnement. En la lisant, vous acceptez