Subject: Re: 11/750 issues
To: Alan Perry <alanp@snowmoose.com>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/07/2002 12:12:08

> Hi,
>
> I have some VAX-11/750 NetBSD issues.  Maybe someone here can help me.

I can try to. 11/750 is a nice machine :-)

> a. Who else here has a 750?  Is it up and running NetBSD?  Are you
> willing to provide me with advice directly?

I have one that I have used for testing NetBSD for ~8 years. Unfortunately
one of the power supplies are broken right now, but I plan to fix it.

> b. The DMF-32 is not listed as supported hardware, but I saw a reference
> to it in files.vax.  Is it actually supported?

Yes and no. The driver from 4.4BSD is ported to NetBSD, but the licence
issues are not yet solved, so the code cannot be in the tree.

> c. I see no reference to the TU-80 tape drive.  I presume it is not
> supported then (and not just called something else), right?

I have vague memory that the TU80 has the same interface as the TS11,
but my memory may be weak. Anyway, if this is the case then it is
supported by the ts driver.

> d. Is there a short primer somewhere on the layout of the sys source
> code?  I am trying to find stuff like the above mentioned DMF-32 driver
> (which has files listed in files.vax, but I cannot find those files) or
> the DHU-11 driver, which is included in the kernel configuration file,
> but I can't find a reference to the files that make up the option.  I am
> not a complete newbie; I just work with enough Unix variants that
> sometimes I forget where things are in a particular version.

"man 7 hier" will give you an overview of the tree structure. Or:

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?hier+7+NetBSD-current

if you do not have any man-pages available.

-- Ragge