Subject: Re: Whineyvax
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/2002 10:18:13
> From: Robertdkeys@aol.com
> Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:00:15 EST
> Subject: Re: Whineyvax
> To: meltie@myrealbox.com, port-vax@netbsd.org
>
> My 4000/200 does not whine.  Possibly you may have some
> fan problems?  I have several suns that developed whines
> (VME crates with lots of fans).  The cure was to gently
> open up the fan bearing by poking a tiny hole in the
> cover label and injecting some WD40 or lube of some sort.
> Does the whine sound like motor bearings or like a
> digital noise of some sort?

Living near the home of WD40, I would like to point
out that while it is an excellent penetrant, it is a
lousy lubricant.  A drop of 10W30 motor oil is a much
better lube.  And just partially peel off the cover label.

If everything else is quiet, one might hear varying load
on the switching power supply as the processor utilization
changes.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu