Subject: Re: NetBSD/vax QBUS IDE?!
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/24/2002 12:17:46
From: "Charles H. Dickman" <chd_1@nktelco.net>

>Even more critical issues exist beyond the character of the controller.
>QBus interface chips for the most part are obsolete. National still makes
>some devices, but these are very expensive.

And they're a moving target.  Last winter I built a Q-bus prototype board
with DS8641s ... but they got discontinued.  Then in the spring I built a
Unibus prototype board with DS3862s.  I just got auto-spam from Digikey
saying *they've* been EOLed.  I haven't checked up on the DS3662s (DS8641
replacements) but I imagine they're going the same way as the 3862.  After
this ... nothing!!  So now I have to decide how serious D Bit is about
making MSCP controllers, and buy a lifetime supply of DS3862s, or not.

Not like it has amounted to anything, but my Q/U prototype projects are
loosely written up at:

	http://www.dbit.com/wilson/projects/

John Wilson
D Bit