Subject: Re: Sigh, will DSSI disks *ever* work with NetBSD?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Stanley Reynolds <stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/22/2002 12:03:33
>    You got better performance over the 3.3MB/sec
> qbus than an CPU-based
> controller?  That's one I'd have to see for myself,
> I think.

Yes, we did benchmarks on both random and sequential
reads of large and small blocks. We also did
benchmarks on CPU performance. We also ran a mix of
benchmarks to measure CPU utilization, there was no
question that the DSSI disk were slower and showed no
advantage. I don't know what we did with the extra
drives but we didn't ship them to customers. The disk
we used were ESDI not SCSI I think they were Maxtor
4380's we also had about the same result with Dialog
(maybe 696) controllers. I liked the Dialog better but
don't remember why.