Subject: RE: HSC50/70 manuals
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/2002 14:42:55
"Antonio Carlini" <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com> wrote:
> Quite a few
> of the ebay auctions for PDP-related manuals are for material that is
> "Internal Use Only" (either stated up-front, or visible
> in the accompanying images). Not too long ago, the VAXBI spec was
> auctioned off.

Cool, does anyone know who got it?  It would be nice to get a scan for
Al Kossow's site (or anywhere else, for that matter).

>> The HSC hardware is pretty amazing.
> It certainly was interesting for its time.

That's what I meant, of course!  :-)

Obviously you wouldn't need so much hardware to do the same thing now;
a single microprocessor could do it.

I got some good news from an former DEC employee regarding the CIPCA
cards I bought this spring.  The docs claim that they won't work with the
HSC50.  It turns out that the problem is just that the HSC50 can't
handle CI packets larger than 1K.  In fact, the HSC50 will get upset even
if it sees packets addressed to someone else that are larger than 1K.
However, since I'll be running my own software on the system with the
CIPCA, I can easily constrain the packet length to avoid this problem.

Did Ultrix ever support CI?