Subject: Re: Just how many of the group are actively running NetBSD on their
To: Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson@ieee.org>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/2002 11:49:08
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Nigel Johnson wrote:

> btw, I am happily chugging along on with NetBSD on my MicroVax IIs.  One of
> them has a Data Translation DT2765 millivolt isolated a/d that I am dying
> to use to measure dome kind of power line stuff, but anybody who suggests
> an experiment also has to come up with a driver!

Oooh.  One project I always thought would be interesting is using A/D
and D/A Qbus modules to build a sound card for a VAX.  I doubt a
MicroVAX-II would have the VUPs to decode mp3s on the fly, but I'd
imagine it'd be fine for low-fidelity uncompressed audio.  I'm sure some
of the newer VAX 4000 series would be well suited for the task.

The major obstacle being the scarcity of such modules.  I only know of
their existence from Megan Gentry's _Field Guide to Qbus and Unibus
Modules_; I've never seen them "in the wild."

-brian.