Subject: RE: Just how many of the group are actively running NetBSD on their Vaxen?
To: Gregg C Levine <drwho8@worldnet.att.net>
From: None <ogdenk@vacoxmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/24/2002 02:10:00
I actively run NetBSD on a MicroVAX/VAXserver 3300 (KA640) w/ KFQSA (no internal DSSI support under NetBSD last I heard.).  It has rather small disks so I don't have the kernel source on it, RF30's are tiny, I had to split the install across the two drives and create a /usr2 mount point and dump half of /usr in there, I need bigger DSSI disks or a SCSI controller.  I basicly use it for LISP development and it makes a good heater.

I also have a pair of VAXstation 3100/30's, one with dual SCSI controllers, one is diskless.  Both use a serial console.  The one with SCSI disks has the whole 1.6 source tree on it and I use it for a lot of different things, it's a solid box.

If the MV3300 had a SCSI controller and a multiport serial card I'd probably use it for more.  NetBSD is very stable and performs fairly well on the KA42 and KA640 machines (minus SHAC DSSI support).
I would assume at least 90% of the people on this list actively run NetBSD on some kind of VAX box, be it a VAXstation, MicroVAX or some monster 6000 or 8550 or something.  I don't think too many people still have working 11/750's or 11/780's.  It'd be kinda neat to have a 780 though.

--Kevin Ogden