Subject: Re: SIMH and DELQA module
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/22/2002 00:21:40
Paul Vixie wrote:
> iirc, the -YM board looked completely different.  fewer chips overall.

All the "normal" and "turbo" (-YM) boards I've seen look like the same
board.  But the -YM has a Toshiba gate array in place of the AMD Lance.
I'm not sure if this is just a cost reduction, and it's a direct
replacement for the Lance, or if the gate array provides some special
features needed by the -YM firmware.

The Lance was a pretty decent Ethernet chip for its day.  I can't think
of any reason why DEC would have needed to replace it with something
different other than a simple cost reduction.  Any performance problems
in the "normal" DELQA are unlikely to be due to the Lance.