Subject: Re: This system lacks kernel support for PPP (?)
To: M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/29/2002 20:06:18
On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, M J Dowden wrote:

>      I just installed NetBSD 1.6 on my VAX 4000-300 and got the error
> message "pppd[pid number]: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.
> To include PPP support in the kernel, please read the ppp(4) manual
> page." when I tried to connect to the Internet using my old chat
> scripts from 1.5. I looked in that man page as well as on the NetBSD
> web site and there is no mention of this nor is there anything to
> suggest a problem with the old scripts. Have I missed something basic?

I've not booted 1.6 yet, but it sounds like the kernel distributed with
it for VAX doesn't have support for PPP compiled into it.  Hmm...  and
based on the config file for NetBSD/vax 1.6's GENERIC kernel, I'd say
that's the problem:
   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-1-6/src/sys/arch/vax/conf/GENERIC

You'll have to either recompile the kernel yourself or have someone
compile one for you.

-brian.