Subject: Re: Net/2 and 4.4
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/14/2002 10:11:37
Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org> asked;

> did anyone ever run net/2 or 4.4 on a vax? was it just a hack with the
> reno VM, or were some of the 'missing files' replaced? i've seen
> references to VAXen running Net/2 and one or two hints of a VAX running
> 4.4, but ive never found anything more concrete.

4.4BSD could not run VAX.  I have a UCB Berkeley announcement dated
29 Jun 93 18:19:46 GMT at hand.  The distribution did have stale/non-functional
vax/tahoe code inside.  I remember I tried to run "out-of-box" Reno
release on uVAX-II.  I'm not sure that distribution image could run well on
the specific configuration of my uVAX-II.  Nonetheless, it was a one evening
try and our site never ran Reno on VAXen for work

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology