Subject: Re: A few questions about the VAXstation 4000/96
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/13/2002 07:09:06
Jonah Ohlsson said:
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Roger Ivie wrote:
>
> > At a previous place of employment, I ran a webserver on a 4000/96 using
> > NetBSD 1.5.1 and thttpd for about a year. Worked great. I can't answer for
> > whether or not the firmware trashing bug has been fixed; I'm afraid I
> > haven't been paying a lot of attention lately. The 4000/96 is currently
> > on a shelf in my bedroom (right over there; see?) and hasn't been running
> > for a while.
>
> If I understand correctly, the firmware bug shouldn't be too hard to
> recognize, since it effectively stops the machine from auto-booting, with
> some "? SYS" or something-error. If you don't notice this on your machine,
> the bug has probably been wiped :)

Oh, I know the bug was there and I know I got bzapped by it. What I don't
know is whether the NetBSD folks have fixed the bug yet. I know there was
a lot of traffic recently about it, but I really wasn't paying a lot of
attention.

If you install 1.5.1 on your 4000/96, you will get hit by the bug. I can't
speak for later versions.
--
Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu