Subject: Re: A few questions about the VAXstation 4000/96
To: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
From: Jonas Ohlsson <jonas@ktg.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/13/2002 14:52:34
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Roger Ivie wrote:

> At a previous place of employment, I ran a webserver on a 4000/96 using
> NetBSD 1.5.1 and thttpd for about a year. Worked great. I can't answer for
> whether or not the firmware trashing bug has been fixed; I'm afraid I
> haven't been paying a lot of attention lately. The 4000/96 is currently
> on a shelf in my bedroom (right over there; see?) and hasn't been running
> for a while.

If I understand correctly, the firmware bug shouldn't be too hard to
recognize, since it effectively stops the machine from auto-booting, with
some "? SYS" or something-error. If you don't notice this on your machine,
the bug has probably been wiped :)
I sure hope so, NetBSD on this machine would be _sweet_, but it's just not
worth it if it will disable auto-boot :\

Best regards,
Jonas