Subject: Re: How to make a 4000 90 boot automaticly?
To: Lasse Jensen <rdx@tiscali.dk>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/09/2002 14:04:08
On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 01:06:20PM +0200, Lasse Jensen wrote:

> I have a digital VAXstation 4000 90 which i have installed NetBSD 1.5.2
> on, but every time i want to boot it, it dumps me in a boot prompt where
> i have to type 'boot dka300' to make it boot. How do i make it boot
> automaticly?
Unfortunately, if a VAXstation is configured to use serial console
(S3...) autoboot is disabled.
Maybe, when you set the PROM variables ready for auto boot and you
disable serial console, you may be able to auto boot. But you will
have the console prompt on the graphics head and NetBSD will (hopefully)
switch to serial console once the kernel is booted. (Never tested this
myself.) And you must have keyboard / mouse / monitor connected
to prevent PROM POST errors.

Do you get a strange "?? SYS" error diagnostic code from the PROM
POST when the machine is powered on?
--

tschüß,
         Jochen