Subject: Re: netbsd on vxt2000 ???
To: sylvain ferriol <Sylvain.Ferriol@imag.fr>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/03/2002 12:55:32
On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 11:10:54AM +0200, sylvain ferriol wrote:

> i don't know if my question is ridiculous....i will see:
It is some kind of a FAQ. ;-)

> the vxt is booting normally and start the X server, but i see that i
> just can do a telnet .
>
> but we have forbidden the telnet for security reasons on all the local
> network. we use ssh for all connections.
You have to configure a X11 XDMCP session on the VXT. In this mode
the VXT requests a X11 login from the remote host. You need a XDM
on that remote host. (That XMD doesn't need to service a local
Xserver like it is usual for wokstations. It just needs to sit there
and listen for a indirect / remote query.) See xdm(1).
The options to configure this type of session are buried somewhere
in the VXT setup menues. (Press F3 to get the setup window.)

You should know that all data in this type of Xsession is transfered
unencrypted. Someone may be able to sniff the characters that you
type in your Xterms, characters like
su -l
So you want do this only in a "trusted" network environement.

> But there is no ssh on the vxt digital kernel...
Of course, the VXT 2000 was long "obsolete" bevore ssh became en vogue.

> Is it possible to download from a server via MOP, a little netbsd kernel
> with a X server and a ssh.
NetBSD does not run on the VXT 2000.
--

tschüß,