Subject: Re: MOPD nfs install of 1.6B4 to DSSI drive on VAX 705 - won't boot!
To: Arthur H. Smith <smithah@earthlink.net>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/31/2002 03:38:21
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Arthur H. Smith wrote:

> Additional information:  DEC boot to the >>> prompt disgnostics say I have
> a KA-692 CPU, but the netbsd boot during nfs boot (netbsd ramdisk) says I
> have a KA694.  Do I have a 705A or a 700A (cabinet says 705A)?
>
> Any clues?

a ka692 is a 700A cpu, ka694 is a 705A cpu. netbsd might be
mis-recognizing the board-version bits. this is in 20040004, in low IO
space, and you can see it from the chevron with this command:
e/p 20040004
some bits in that register identify the board version, which allows
the system to know what model of cpu it has. (the SID register has the
info on what family of implementation it is, e.g. all NVAX machines have the
same id, all microvax-2 chips give the same id, etc. the SIE in 20040004
gives extendsions to the sid data)
post the results and somebody with access can add this machine so it is
properly recognized. it's just a matter of this sub-type probly not being
in the right hands for someone to extract the relevant bits for them to
be recognized.

happy hacking,
isildur