Subject: Re: HELP: QDSS (qd0) status???
To: Don Smith <dondsmith@austin.rr.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/31/2002 03:17:46
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Don Smith wrote:
> 1. Is any QDSS support working in 1.5.2?
someone else knows, i dont.

> 2. Is all QDSS support based on BSD4.3 code?

yes
> 3. Is BSD4.3 code currently broken and re-fixed in 1.6 (in the change
> notes)?
dont know about 1.6. it works in 4.3 though.

> 4. What's the order of magnitude of the scope of work (hours required by a
> good programmer)
>      to complete wscons (and X w/keyboard and mouse) support for QDSS?
>     (e.g. A real developer could knock this out in a couple of
> hours/days/weeks/months/years.)
probably ranging from hours to days, leaving towards the days end of
that. just my guess.

> 5. Was there *ever* a fully-functioning (graphics+mouse+keyboard) X server
> for QDSS?

yes. now-ancient versions of X work under 4.3,4.4, cmu mach (essentially
4.3), and dont forget the VMS X server which certainly supports the board
as well. ;)
There used to be a net-reachable copy of images somewhere in the athena
directories in mit's afs-land, which looked to me like enough of a system
to get an (mit-athena'ified) x setup running. Certainly at cmu they used to
have oodles of microVAXen running mach and X.

probably the two easiest ways to get X on that qdss are to install 4.3bsd
or install vms.. though by all means, if you make it work with wscons,
very cool!

happy hacking
isildur