Subject: console locks up
To: vax <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/19/2002 22:34:48
I have NetBSD 1.5.2 installed on an MVIII (KA650 in a BA23 chassis). When I
booted it after about 3 months of down time, it complained about the TODR being
too small and asked that the date be checked and set. When I tried to set the
date, it accepted the command, presented a new prompt, and then would not
respond to any more commands. The characters typed are echoed, but the shell
does not respond. This was very repeatable. Pings would respond, but I did not
get a longin prompt over SSH. After killing ntpd, I used ntpdate to set the date
and that was successful.

Now if I halt the processor and then restart, the date will lag, but I can set
it an hour or so ahead with no problem.

In the first case, the date was 30-March-2001 and this needed to be advanced to
18-August-2002. The machine was last booted in May or June of 2002.

I seem to remember that when I booted my VS3100 and tried to set the date, it
would lock up the console, but when I rebooted, it would be OK. With the MVIII,
each time I rebooted, the date was still at the orginal time.

I have gotten around the problem, but seems like something is not quite
right....

-chuck