Subject: Re: VAXstation 4000/90 Success!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/22/2002 20:10:07
On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:23:30PM -0600, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

> I checked on my 4000/90, and the flash memory is 4 PLCC chips soldered
> to the board.  Unless a DEC utility to reprogram the flash can be
> found, somebody's going to have to be very brave and take the risk of
> losing the entire flash testing a new program.

it's not too bad if you have access to SMT rework equipment [1].  good
flash images exist, right?   worst case scenario the flashes get
desoldered, externally reprogrammed, and soldered back in.  ideally
sockets could be added or the write-line trace cut to help keep the
problem from happening again.

what's the packaging and vendor part number on the flashes in question?

I might need to buy a new personality module for the burner here at
work, but if it will help keep some VAXen alive, it's worth it!  :)

[1] part of the equipment available to me includes a nimble-fingered
    co-worker.  :)