Subject: Re: VAXstation 4000/90 Success!
To: Hugh Graham <hugh@openbsd.org>
From: Matt <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/14/2002 21:21:52
--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:46:33AM -0700, Hugh Graham wrote:
>=20
> First, E/P/B/N:2 200A0009 and make sure you get the sequence:
>=20
>   P 200A0009 00
>   P 200A000A 6e
>   P 200A000B 79

Yup, it's definetly that.

> I just want to confirm we're in the right spot, and that your hand
> patched dump is good.
>=20
> Assuming things look correct, enter: D/P/B 200A0009 61
>=20
> Then: E/P/B 200A0009 and see if it changed. If it didn't change, we
> may have to fix this from kernel mode since the monitor would appear
> to have a sanity check that the os isn't subject to. A hacked version
> of the dz probe itself should do the trick.

I can enter the command, and the VAX doesn't complain, but the value
remains unchanged, still 00.

> If I had a pristine version of 1.1, or a corrupt version of 1.3 or 1.4
> it would be possible to look for other corruption, but it seems like
> we're on the right track so far. Probably that POST error is due to a
> failed firmware checksum.

Calling all 4000/90 owners... :-)

Actually, having picked through the dump in my hand patching, the end of
the image is all 00's apart from the last 4 bytes. Would this be the
checksum of the firmware perhaps?

Matt
--=20
"Phased plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Hey, just what you see, pal"

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi--