Subject: Re: VAXstation 4000/90 Success!On July 13, Robert Schaefer wrote:
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/14/2002 10:26:40
>> >It also complains about the gfx card, (possibly because there's no
>> >monitor hooked up), short of removing the card, can I at least stop the
>> >VAX complaining about it? There's an SRM var on the DEC 3000 to do
>> >that.
>>
>> No way that I know of, aside from hacking up a 75 ohm terminator for it.
>> I'd hate to waste a 3W3 cable on that though, and to buy the connectors and
>> shell would be $$$.  VMS'll complain about the wrong PAKs if you try and
>> boot it with the framebuffer removed, if you're lucky enough to have any.

>  Now, wait a minute.  A framebuffer with pure-analog outputs can't tell
>if there's a monitor connected.  Unless, of course, they're doing SWR
>measurements to see if there's a reflection due to impedance mismatch
>and triggering the "no monitor" alarm with the SWR exceeds a certain
>threshold, which frankly I don't see happenening.
>
>        -Dave
>
>--
>Dave McGuire                  "Needing a calculator indicates that
>St. Petersburg, FL              your .emacs file is incomplete." -Joshua Boyd

	Actually it's easy to detect if a monitor is connected (and I know
that the PMAGB-B does this) Just set the RAMDACs output current up to full
scale, the lack of the 75 Ohm termination in the monitor will cause the
output voltage on the R|G|B signals to be double (assuming they are reverse
terminated) or more than double the expected value. A simple DC comparator
will now tell you if a monitor is connected...

Peter Wallace