Subject: Re: VAXstation 4000/90 Success!
To: port-vax <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/13/2002 20:06:25
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt" <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
To: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 03:34 PM

>> Watch out when you install them, the banks are laid out oddly.
>> 1-2-1-2-2-1-2-1 I believe.
>
>Yes, this tallies with my current config, 1-_-1-_-_-1-_-1. So I have to
>add all four SIMMs in one go then? I was asking because I have seen some
>"sealed" kits on eBay too, although the last one I saw was for only two
>16MB SIMMs, so I wasn't sure what I needed. I guess therefore I'd have
>to score another pair from somewhere before they'd be useful. Thanks for
>clearing that up. They were going for about $15 for 2x 16MB, which
>wasn't too bad, I skipped 'em 'cos the machine wasn't working, but
>now...

Yah, you need a kit of four.  Since you already have one set, you'd be able
to test them even if you got them two at a time.  $15/pair isn't a bad
price, either.

>> >   M> Anyway, I can start playing now, and the machine
>> >    > certainly feels quite nippy for its age.
>> >
>> > Having 64Mb of RAM probably helps :-)
>>
>> Having 128MB help even more.  Until I picked up my DEC 3000/800, this was
>> probably my fastest computer!
>
>Yes, this isn't quite up to speed as my other DEC, (a 256MB 3000/600),
>but it's quick enough to be useful somehow. And the great thing is both
>machines are almost near-silent. The hard drive is definetly the loudest
>part of the machine, the PSU fans are neglible. Oh, and you can
>dismantle the thing without a screwdriver... :-)

The fans in the /800 are going, but it lives in the basement...  I've got an
NCD xterm w/ a 21" monitor that'll be my upstairs computer, One Of These
Days.  :)

>> The surest cure for the SYS error is to not reboot the computer.  Barring
>> power failure, there shouldn't be any reason to.
>
>Here's hoping...
>
>It also complains about the gfx card, (possibly because there's no
>monitor hooked up), short of removing the card, can I at least stop the
>VAX complaining about it? There's an SRM var on the DEC 3000 to do
>that.

No way that I know of, aside from hacking up a 75 ohm terminator for it.
I'd hate to waste a 3W3 cable on that though, and to buy the connectors and
shell would be $$$.  VMS'll complain about the wrong PAKs if you try and
boot it with the framebuffer removed, if you're lucky enough to have any.

>Matt

Bob