Subject: Re: Speeding up libraries.
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/04/2002 16:35:27
On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Johnny Billquist wrote:

[suggests additional version of libc for 8650 full instruction set]

	Some thoughts:

	    - Extend gcc to provide additional -mcpu=XXXX options for
	      the vax cpu.

	      For completeness if you have data on scheduling
	      differences between the cpu families you could also
	      implement -mtune=XXXX. That would allow you to
	      recompile everything to take best advantage of the
	      current CPU.

	      I use pksgrc/devel/cpuflags on my alpha, sparc and i386
	      boxes to compile the base system and pkgsrc for the
	      specific CPU.

	    - i386 has a libm387.so.0 which is used if the sysctl
	      machdep.fpu_present is true. It contains FPU using
	      versions of various maths functions. Something similar
	      could be done for the vax libm and/or libc, but this
	      only benefits dynamically linked binaries.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --