Subject: Re: Off Topic? PDP 11 1134/1145's
To: Brian Hechinger , joseph p bennardo <fordluvr@juno.com>
From: Lyle Bickley <lbickley@bickleywest.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2002 18:46:12
On Tuesday 02 April 2002 17:11, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> i don't think any of us expects you to give it away for free, we're just
> saying it would be nice if you could. :)
>
> as far as donated items being sold when they are worth money, maybe you
> don't understand just how deeply our sickness runs.  i don't care how much
> my gear ends up being worth, i would NEVER sell it.  i don't own it for
> it's investment potential, i own it because i want it. :)

It is a sickness.  I've got way too many old systems - and I'd never sell
them.  They clutter up my house to the point of ridiculous, but after getting
the critters running, I couldn't bear to see them anyplace but in a "loving
home".   (I did give one huge PDP-12 (4 1/2 racks), complete with just about
every peripheral and option ever made, plus tons of software to the Computer
History Museum)

> i don't question any of your choices.  your choice to not ebay this stuff
> is admirable, and your willingness to stick your neck out to save it in the
> first place is also admirable.

Hear, hear.

> what i question, is the company's position that this stuff has to be
> destroyed. what possibly reason is there that they would see this as the
> only alternative? does it benefit them to have it destroyed?  probably not.

It's was probably written off years ago - so giving it away shouldn't be a
financial issue.  I'd tell them that most computer history buffs like to play
with the stuff and add it to their collections - and hardly ever sell the
stuff - except for shipping, handling and related costs.

If they still feel that the systems need to be "destroyed", ask them "why?".
I've done a lot of negotiating over the years to get the systems I have.
More often than not, "company folks" ultimately prove to be reasonable.

> you are doing a good thing, even if the whole systems can't be saved.
>
> -brian

Agreed!

Lyle

--
Lyle Bickley | Bickley Consulting West Inc.
lbickley@bickleywest.com