Subject: Re: Off Topic? PDP 11 1134/1145's
To: joseph p bennardo <fordluvr@juno.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/02/2002 11:23:58
Is this a troll to see what you should set the opening bid for on Ebay?

11/34's and 11/45's are no longer made. Their value will continue to rise
and it is already above scrap. A complete PDP-11 system can usually be sold
for $300 - $1000 depending on options, but that requires lots of docs
patience etc. Typically a boards reseller, of which one or more should have
already contacted you, will buy all the boards for some price and then test
and resell them. With 10 systems that's probably $1000 in wholesale boards.

Can you make a "profit" salvaging and reselling the boards, probably not,
you will find you're working for minimum wage unless you've already got a
test facility set up. Could you make a profit if you could keep the system
chassis with the front panels? Much more likely since a complete system is
an order of magnitude more valuable than a single set of boards (which are
only valuable as "spares")

So what's your goal? Since you have an ebay account you can watch sales on
ebay for a while to get a "feel" for their value. But there is no hard and
fast rule.

--Chuck