Subject: Re: X servers / Re: VS4k90 PROM damage / Re: boot errors on VS4000
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2002 12:53:12
On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 12:08:32PM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:

> I'll check my dmesg output tonight, and hopefully I'll see an smg0
> line. To get any output I guess I have to flip the output switch,
Not necessarily. I am using a serial console on my Alphastation 200
and in addition wscons + X server. So I can use the serial console
and X simultaneously. I do this because the monitor is a fixed
fequency monitor and the SRM console uses std VGA low res modes
that the monitor can not display.

> which on my VS means unscrewing the back panel as there's no cutout
> on the panel for it(!).
Get a drilling machine...

> Then I'll have to hope that the monitor I
> acquired with the VS still works. Do you know if I need to do
> anything else, or should NetBSD be able to determine that I'm
> using graphic mode?
If the wscons is detected try to init it (there is some /etc/rc stuff
for this) and run a getty on the appropriate tty. (See /etc/ttys)

> This will be my first attempt at anything this low level - I consider
> myself a good C programmer, but all my experience is with application
> level stuff.
A X server is still a user land application.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen