Subject: Re: X servers / Re: VS4k90 PROM damage / Re: boot errors on VS4000
To: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2002 12:02:32
On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:13:43AM +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:

> What framebuffers do the early VS3100's have?
The mono framebuffer is on board, all VS3100 and the VS2000 have it.
GPX is a accelerated 4 or 8 bit color frame buffer, available as an
option for the VS3100, MV II and VS2000.
SPX is a better / faster / high end / 3D accelerated ???? framebuffer
for the VS3100. It can also be found in the VXT2000 and there is
a "LCSPX" (Low Cost SPX) for the VS4k. AFAIK there is no doc
available for any kind of SPX.

> I'm quite sure mine has a mono framebuffer, in which case how do
> I compile the wscons support for it?
The wscons support for the mono framebuffer "smg" is in NetBSD
since 1.5 release. From GENERIC:
smg0            at vsbus0 csr 0x200f0000 # Small monochrome display ctlr.
wsdisplay0      at smg0
lkkbd0          at dz0 line 0
wskbd*          at lkkbd? console ?
lkms0           at dz0 line 1
wsmouse*        at lkms?

> If I'm able to get it working, where do I get the "sort of
> working" X server from?
Look at the port-vax archive. There are / where two people working
on it independently.

> I'm determined to learn the intricacies of NetBSD driver writing, so
> this would be a great way to get my hands dirty.
This is what we all wanted to hear. ;-)

> I'm also hoping to
> get X support up and running for the Leo framebuffer,
Leo??? That nifty SBus thing?
--

tschüß,
         Jochen