Subject: Re: VS4k90 PROM damage / Re: boot errors on VS4000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2002 04:07:56
> You're right, and there never was a frame buffer on an 11/780 as far
> as I know.

Actually, the very first VAX I ever used was an 11/780...with a
framebuffer.  It was a Grinnell Systems thing, all of 256x240
resolution, and it had some colormap capabilities I've never seen in
anything since.  It was not a graphics head in the sense the term is
usually used today; there was no associated keyboard - the only input
device associated with it was a joystick.

When we switched from VMS to UNIX on that machine, I wrote the UNIX
driver for it.  I have no idea what's become of that driver; probably
long since lost.  I can't even remember what the interface looked like
any longer.  (At the hardware level, that is.  I remember what the
software library layer we used looked like.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign