Subject: X servers / Re: VS4k90 PROM damage / Re: boot errors on VS4000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2002 09:59:07
On 2002.03.11 05:19 Chuck McManis wrote:

> This and the fact that there is no supported frame buffers for X
> actually makes the "reality" that no VAX platform is fully supported
> by NetBSD. Yes, its unfortunate.
There is wscons for the smg mono frame buffers of VAXstations and a sort
of workling X server. This is not working due to the usual problem: Lack
of people with knowledge that can afford the time to complete it.

I am thinking about writing wscons support for the GPX, once I get the
RX02 driver finished. I found the docs for the QBus board set. I did not
have the time to look deeper into it. My main question is now how
similar the QBus version is to the version found in the VS3100. Is there
some doc especially for the VS3100 GPX?

The SPX and VS4k frame buffers are a completely other thing. The reason
why we have no support for them is simply that there is no doc for them
available. (AFAIK)

> To dump a "good" copy of the PROM very slowly, you can use the Examine
> command to dump out the contents in HEX to the console.
What cmd do I ned to dump the ROM? (i.e. start address / length in phys
mem.)
Time is no problem, if requires no hand holding during the dump. ;-)

> When the system starts, what banner does it print?
My not NetBSD infected VS4k90:
KA49-A V1.0-006-V4.0
08-00-2B-37-58-9D
16MB