Subject: Re: VS4k90 PROM damage / Re: boot errors on VS4000
To: Lieven Blancke <Lieven.Blancke@pandora.be>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/10/2002 12:57:13
well, permanent damage being defined as 'overwrites some of it' ... it
can be overwritten again.. a while ago there was a thread about this,
some folks took dumps of a pristine 4k90 rom, and these can be written
back in again. it'd be tedious manually, of course.

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Lieven Blancke wrote:
> Hey, I am really disappointed here! NetBSD puts this hardware on their
> "Supported System Models" list, and it does permanent damage to the PROM?
> Somehow, I feel ripped off.
>
> Is this PROM damage really an issue? When I type "boot" NetBSD seems to work
> OK.

i dont know if it causes real problems.. i'd suspect that it is a case of
not hitting the conditions under which the clobbering will lead to
failure, but it probably isnt a very good thing to be overwriting some of the
roms..

isildur