Subject: Re: NetBSD/pdp10 ?
To: , <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/05/2002 16:15:37
John waxes nostalgic...

*Probably* the most famous PDP-10 running TOPS-20 was at White Sands Missile Range (USAF)
which was the ORIGINAL host of the Simtel Archive.  You had to FTP to some insanely long
FQDN and 'cd' to the DEC volume, and you had to know these volume names ahead of time,
else you would spend a lot of time reading the files in [000000] and never find
anything...

I called White Sands, out if curiosity, to ask whatever came of it.  I got a guy who was
the primary maintainer of the system, but even 10 years after it's decommissioning, it was
still classified and he would not tell me much.  He did say, that is used a LOT of
electricity and had a huge AC unit, especially since they are out in the desert.  That
core memory really uses the electricity, especially when you get busy writing to memory.

The last time I access it was back in 1992, till the Simtel archive was moved to
oak.oakland.edu which was easier to navigate (UNIX) and faster.

It was the first site I ever FTPed to...*sniff sniff*

jam