Subject: Re: VAX7000 3-phase
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/04/2002 18:00:05
Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Gunther Schadow wrote:
>

>>David Woyciesjes wrote:
>>

>>>	Of course, you could always replace the 3 phase blowers with
>>>something more appropriate, couldn't you? Or would you have to bypass some
>>>sensor?
>>>
>>As I said, I don't *think* that those are 3-phase blowers, because
>>that would have been the first VAX that used them. But I may be wrong
>>(the 9000 might have.)
>>

> No. The first VAX to use 3-phase blowers was the 8600.
> (Yes, it do generate a lot of heat, ECL have that property...)

O.K. got it. In this regard it may be worth noting that
Matt Sell had sort of complained about the 2-phase nature
of the VAX11/78x blowers. I gather that 2-phase motors
are less efficient, and that the motors really do make a
difference in terms of power consumption. That does of
course not imply that the 8600 would suck less power than
the 11/780 :-)

But now I completely digressed the issue from reassuring
3-phase-less-ness to praising the advantage of 3-phase
motors.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine