Subject: Qbus IDE adapter implementing MSCP
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/2002 10:00:34
> > > It wasn't clear to me if this thing did MSCP or not but I would
> > > think that would be really important from a compatibility perspective.
>
> It does not.

After doing so reading on MSCP and Qbus interface, it would seem that a Z80 with a bit of
RAM and the MSCP protocol programmed in and then sandwiched between the IDE controller and
the Qbus would solve performance issues and make for ease of implementation.

Basically it would be a recreation of the RQDX3 controller with a Z-80 instead of a T-11
and use IDE instead of MFM.

Since I really don't know how MSCP works, I'm going to have to dig out some of my old DEC
books and see if I can find the spec..

I've been looking for an excuse to break out the old bread board and Z80 ASM books -- my
girlfriend is not going to be happy.

jam