Subject: Re: ethernet magic
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/24/2001 15:28:38
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 00:13:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
> To: port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: ethernet magic
>
> > Final possibility you aren't using a MAU cable, instead you've used a
> > generic 15 pin PC joystick type cable and that just won't work.
>
> It may, if it connects the relevant pins and is short enough.  I once
> did a MAU cable with two DB-15s and some 15-condutor ribbon cable.  I
> first used all the ribbon cable I had on hand (some 15-20 feet) and
> tested it; I saw occasional (a few percent) errors.  So I cut it down
> to about six inches and have never had any trouble with it.

Yes, I can verify this.  15-conductor ribbon cable at a length under 1
foot seems to work all the time.  It is also rather nice not to have a
lump of transceiver mechanically attached to  the back of your
workstation where it can easily be bumped.  I have seen our computer
sysadmins use up to 10 or 15 feet and get away with it, but I think
they were lucky.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu