Subject: Re: TU81+ spooks (was: Re: first step getting VAX 6000-400 booted ...)
To: Braamse, Joop <Joop.Braamse@compaq.com>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/2001 23:32:50
Joop,

please help me again, I was so close but not quite!

> According to the field service manual a termination code of 77 means that the
> drive is not in TU/TA81 mode.

o.k. let's go ...

> Before using test 04 you should execute test 49.

1st bummer: how do I get to test "49"? When I press
TEST and then STEP, STEP, ... I can get the ocunter
up to "09" and then it rolls over to "00" :-( How
do I count up to 49?

> This is from the book:

could I have a copy of it?

> Test requirements
> Tape should be unloaded.

O.K. :-)

> Set the jumper on the servo control board(W 1) in the 1-2 position.

Hmm, ffd-ing to where you describe the board:

> The servo control board is the third  board if you start

> counting from the left. The first is called write driver

> module, the second read amplifier and the third servo control.

and this is talking only of the first (left) set of modules.
There is another set of three boards to the right. Right?

O.K. I took out the left 3-pack and found a lonely jumper
on the third board from the left (i.e., the right-most
board in this triple.)

Now, what is the "1-2" position? The Jumper sits there
like this

top

     [*] A
     [*] B
      *  C

bottom

and there are no labels 1, 2, or 3. So, I don't know which
is 1, 2 and 3.

But no matter where I put it, I can never dial test number
49.

The other question I had is how to use the terminal connection?
I tried plugging in a terminal with null-modem, with and without
modem control various baud rates but never did I see or cause
anything to happen on this terminal line. How is that used?
Is it needed to go to test 49?

> Normally the unit number is always shown on the display when

> the unit is in online mode

O.K. and mine does not show that number. So there is definitely
something wrong with it.

> Test description
> Test 49 enables auto load on power up, displays the unit

> identifier, and sets up the power down timer for one minute

> if no tape motion has occurred.

yes, I want that, but how?

> Return the jumper to the original position

which would be 2-3, but where is that? The upper or lower
position?

Thank you so much for your help,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine