Subject: Re: first step getting VAX 6000-400 booted ...
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/2001 09:05:17
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Next week I will have the Ultrix boot tape as files on
> my laptop. Assuming that Ultrix netbooting is similar to
> any other UNIX netbooting, the next stage after mopd/tftp
> would mount NFS as the root filesystem to load the kernel
> from. I can set up an Ultrix filesystem on FreeBSD
> accessible via NFS easily. In fact, I would have no clue
> how to do that on VMS.

Usually it is not that simple. Ultrix loads in multipple stages from mop.
I'm not sure that the free mopserver supports all the binary formats that
are needed. The mop protocol has a lot of options if memory serves me
right. A vms box is able to serve all the files, as is ultrix. I think you
actually need to compile a small object file containing the boot
parameters (nfs server, directory etc) and serve the result over mop.

I have found that the easiest way to boot ultrix is from another ultrix
box.

> ... actually now I come to think of it, I can compile the
> Ultrix code from sources next week as well. ... it's a long
> story, but if I still walk in darkness, I'll bake myself
> ultrixboot and ultrixload with debug output. Then the only
> question is how I use my version of VMS to move the files
> from my laptop onto the VAX for writing the boot tape...
> Is UCX part of a standard VMS distribution? What about
> [xyz]modem or kermit? A MOP client doing tftp like things?

I think ucx is included in the hobbyist license version of vms. Kermit is
not included, although it is one of the first things I compile on a vms
box. :-)

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF