Subject: RE: first step getting VAX 6000-400 booted ...
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/24/2001 10:51:12
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Carlini, Antonio wrote:
> Gunther Schadow [mailto:gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org]

> > Yes, but it sounds like a VMS only thing. In fact, I had VMS up
> > from a stand-alone backup tape (TK50 or 70) yesterday. It made it
> > all the way to a prompt. At that point I didn't know my way along
> > as I have never dealt with VMS system administration. So, I tried
> > ULTRIX again, which still didn't come up. It simply halts without
> > any error message.
>
> VMS is a reasonably good diagnostic :-)
>
> [...]
>
> Then at least you know you are trying to load Ultrix onto good
> hardware. I've only used Ultrix as a user, I've never installed it.
> But I assume that you could (in some way) copy the distribution
> tapes to a spare disk and then install from there. VMS may be one
> way of doing that.

For what it's worth.  In college, my roommate and I netinstalled Ultrix
4.2 onto a VAXstation 2000.  We used a VAX/VMS system and MOP to serve
the distribution.  I don't remember the details, but it's at least
possible.  So, maybe you can get VMS loaded on something like a cheap
MicroVAX 3100 and netinstall the VAX 6000 from there?

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
All math equations have a fistfight on at least one side.  -- K.