Subject: RE: first step getting VAX 6000-400 booted ...
To: 'Gunther Schadow' <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/24/2001 08:25:43
Gunther Schadow [mailto:gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org]
> > this is an excellent idea, clusterbooting a machine is FAR
> too easy. :)
>
> Yes, but it sounds like a VMS only thing. In fact, I had VMS up
> from a stand-alone backup tape (TK50 or 70) yesterday. It made it
> all the way to a prompt. At that point I didn't know my way along
> as I have never dealt with VMS system administration. So, I tried
> ULTRIX again, which still didn't come up. It simply halts without
> any error message.

VMS is a reasonably good diagnostic :-)

If you like (and you have the media)
I can walk you through the install (it's
pretty straightforward).

This would (assuming it works) get you to
the point where you can check out your
drives, the ethernet card etc.

Then at least you know you are trying to
load Ultrix onto good hardware. I've only
used Ultrix as a user, I've never installed
it. But I assume that you could (in some way)
copy the distribution tapes to a spare disk and
then install from there. VMS may be one way of
doing that.

Antonio