Subject: Re: first step getting VAX 6000-400 booted ...
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/24/2001 10:13:35
Brian Hechinger wrote:

> > Probably the simplest solution for you would be to have another VAX running
> > VMS and then cluster in the 6000. That way you could boot VMS from the
> > cluster partner, use the partners media etc. That requires only that the
> > ethernet, CPU, and memory are working on a Qbus VAX, I don't know about a 6000.
>
> the ethernet on the 6000 is an XMI deal, so your XMI rig would need to work.
> the chances are very very good that it does however. :)

That would be the DEMNA, but this is rather rare. Most have
DEBNI or DEBNT (I have half a dozen of DEBNT), which are VAXBI
cards. But does it matter? I am confident that my VAXBI bus works
properly. And ULTRIX knows how to use XMI and VAXBI. The only
thing I know I have problems with is the TK tape and probably still
the SDI disks (KDB50).

> this is an excellent idea, clusterbooting a machine is FAR too easy. :)

Yes, but it sounds like a VMS only thing. In fact, I had VMS up
from a stand-alone backup tape (TK50 or 70) yesterday. It made it
all the way to a prompt. At that point I didn't know my way along
as I have never dealt with VMS system administration. So, I tried
ULTRIX again, which still didn't come up. It simply halts without
any error message.

-Gunther

--
Gunther_Schadow-------------------------------http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu