Subject: Re: Same old questions... No ... another one!
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/09/2001 14:54:20
> > Speaking of liking to run my VAX....(:+}}...
> > I am trying to set about to make a MVII VAX with Ultrix-32M, V-1.x.
>
>   You're a man of good taste, Bob! :-)

Well, I hope my tastes in retro are yummy.  My main goal was to
see how early an MVII critter I could get up, and it looks like
the Ultrix-32M is it.  A real retro-fit would be to use an MVI
critter, but I don't have the cpu for that.

> > 2)  Can I work back from a NetBSD on the MFM/floppy controller to
> >     the Ultrix-32M, i.e., use the NetBSD box as a floppy writer?
> >     I would think so, but I dunno what is the best version of NetBSD
> >     that would fit or support the MFM/floppy controller.  I have the
> >     RD54, so that might support a recent load, althought disk space
> >     would be the main consideration.  I need about 20mb to load the
> >     Ultrix-32M floppy images.  Also, what sort of jumpering is needed
> >     to run the MFM/floppy controller off a machine with scsi or esdi
> >     as the main controllers.
>
>   I would think that any release of NetBSD/vax should do the trick.
> The RQDX[123] controller that talks the the RX50 drives should present
> them as standard DU: devices to the OS.  I'd think you could just fire
> up NetBSD/vax and use dd(1) to write the images to floppies.

The main thing I am woried about is how tight the space will be, when
it is all loaded up.  The RD54 is about 120mb formatted and newfs'd,
if memory is correct, so that leaves about 100mb for the system and
20mb for the dd images.  I sense even with only a base/etc/manpages
install that will push the size a bit.  I will play some with it,
tonight, and see what it really takes to load the 1.5.2 anymore.

Has anyone actually used a MFM machine lately with 1.5.2?  I was
thinking there were some MFM problems around 1.5 or thereabouts
although I may be thinking of something else.

Thanks

Bob